Wednesday, May 03, 2006

"..and the beat goes on,...and the beat goes on."

Down to my last three days and all of a sudden my company realizes they are "up shits creek without a paddle", so the phone has been ringing off the hook. The "big kahuna" who was my direct report called and did the politically correct "thanks for all your service over the past secen years blah, blah, blah". Then does the professional managment shuffle and announces he is passing my store and several others off to another lesser manager. (Can you say "not my problem anymore, my butt is covered?")
New (lesser manager) calls in a pure panic, since he figured out there are three days left and the inmates will be firmly in charge of the asylum! Fortunately I know this new guy, and he's a real "ok" dude, so I waffle abit and throw out the old
"MaybeI can do a few hours part-time and train up someone for you" bit."
"Really! Man that would be great! (Hook is in, yank the line, "Well maybe for a few months", IT'S SET, now to reel 'em in.)
"Well we'd need a few 'accomodations' for it to happen"
(slightly wary tone) "...what kind of accomodations?"
"Certainly not the usual $7.50 an hour part-time wage."
"What did you have in mind?"
"About $15 an hour." (Slight pause not the "pregnant" one that indicates above his authority)
"OK, but only to the first of August."
"Let's say September instead."
"OK, 'til Labor Day."
(Time to see how far we can push this puppy.)
"And if we don't raise the starting pay you'll never get anyone."
"To like what?"
"$9.00 an hour"
"Done"
"So if you don't want a walk out of the three guys that are still here you're gonna have to raise thier pay by the difference from where they are."
"How much?"
"A dollar and a half an hour should make things right for them."
"Done."
(This is going wonderfully, let's see if we can sell them some oceanfront property in Kansas.)
"One more thing."
"What's that?"
"I keep my full benefits for this entire time."
"I'll have to talk to the Human Resources people about that one."
"That's fine you still have two days ubtil I'm gone. Why don't you check with them and get back to me tomorrow."

So like I said, "...and the beat goes on,...and the beat goes on."
(Check in tomorrow and we will see what happens. Have a great day, I know I will!)

No comments: