Sunday, August 13, 2006

Oh my, a whole day off!!

Yep, got a whole day off, Sunday! My wife is working for the day so I'm just well, on my own!
Planning the day has been relatively easy. I sort of work it backwards and everything falls into place, watch;
9:30 pm - another long week ahead, time to try an get some extra sleep before Monday to make up for that which I won't get in the Monday to Friday timeframe. (Usually it all works out and if you take the total sleep for the week, divide it by the number of days in the week, it usually works out to 5 1/2 to 6 hours a night!)
7:30 - 9:30 watch the "boob tube" (a/k/a television) couldn't tell you what was on as I was doing my mental planning of the entire week with the sonar positioned to the automatic "un-huh" mode when my wife asks a question or comments on something. It's sonar becasue it works the same way. She "pulses out" something, and I "ping" it back. Something like this, "Did you remember to take out the trash and clean out the kitty litter boxes?"(That is a "pulse out"),
"un-huh", (that's a "ping"!) See how easy it is?
7:00 - 7:30pm - eating dinner ("What did you put on this chicken? It tastes like chinese food. And why are the vegetables all whimpy?)
6:15 - 7:00 pm - sipping a lovely Cabernet with just a hint of tannin more than it should.
5:00 - 6:15 pm - "Let's see what's in this cook book that's kind of exotic sounding that I can whip up for the wife with chicken and some veggies. This one looks pretty good except I don't have all those spices,...aw hell I'll improvise, after all how many episodes of the Iron chef have I watched? Some of that shit must have sunk into my subconscious!"
3:00 - 4:45 pm - Pub time!! (So many Guinness, so little time!!!!)
2:00-3:00 pm - Why won't the damn thing work? I followed the damn directions! (the installation process on my latest little techy toy, a color business card scanner that links to my outlook address book,...cool or what?)
12:00 - 2:00pm - all these damn errands to run, hit the book store, the hi-tech store, the going out of business tool store (read tomorrows blog! You want to talk about an ego booster, try this one on: I left as fulltime store manager in May, after almost eight years, but offered to stay on part-time (about 20 hours a week) and help train a new manager, but only until September. That's a four month lead time. Less than three weeks left and they can't find a suitable manager type. LARGE corporate solution: "Well if you can't stay on any more we'll just close the store and eat the cost of the remaining two years on the lease, since no one else can make it work like he did." And we are the largest economic power on this earth? I shudder,...big time.)
11:00- 12:00 noon - write my blog, I've been slacking off lately and reading them more than writing them. (Love the Aussie girl blogs! These young women have thier heads screwed on really straight, I'd hire anyone of them as they know how to think, and have common sense. I don't see them calling thier "shrink" over a broken fingernail like some of our "made in America" princesses!)
There, I think that covers the day. No surprises, no work perse, and ample time for the pub. (Note to all: Since my "pub" is called "Buster's World Famous Oyster Bar & Grille", and the twenty something TV's let them think they are the biggest sports bar around, and it's Sunday afternoon, well I guess it's the weekly NASCAR race, the weekend PGA final, a few also ran baseball games, and talking sports heads, (sigh!) I'd rather watch Soccer, English Premier League if possible, but in any event college and Pro football starts again soon and the land of the Bubba's will rule the Pub for the next 16 weeks!
("I promise to try and write more often, Mom" - used to be my standard closing on letters home when I was in the Military 1964-1969!)

-30-

No comments: